DeSantis Acts Ignorantly

Jahaziel Estes, Reporter

As we reported, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis rejected the AP African American Studies course in Florida schools K-12 after stating in a Jacksonville press conference that its content is “contrary to Florida law.”
This was an ignorant act.
These actions show how dismissive and unworldly the governor is and his promotion of the inequality of black students in America.
We cannot allow this type of systemic racism and inequality to perpetuate; not only when it comes to AP African American Studies, but also for all other learning opportunities.
The denial of AP African American Studies contributes to the perpetual and vast racism against black people. Ron DeSantis’ ignorant dismissal of an AP African American Studies course is not only a dereliction of his duty to ensure equitable education for all Floridians, but shows clear disdain for the lives and experiences that form part of our national history. This is absolutely unacceptable and speaks volumes about the value placed on African American’s’ lives.
Everyone should denounce DeSantis’ decision because it’s just outright evil. This decision further condemns black voices and black history which has been covered up and buried for centuries. Not only that but take a look at Florida’s treatment of black students as a whole. According to data from the U.S. Department of Education Civil Rights Data Collection, “Every single district in Florida with more than 100,000 students has grave inequities faced by Black students; including lack of access to advanced classes and disproportionate punishments compared to White counterparts.” According to the NAACP, Black students comprise 23% of the public school population in Florida – yet are only 10% of those enrolled in gifted and talented programs — in other words: only 2.3% of students enrolled in a gifted program are Black.
White students are 2.2 times more likely to be enrolled in at least one AP class when compared to Black students.
All students should be given equal opportunity no matter their skin color or socioeconomic status.
How can black students achieve their dreams and reach higher levels of academic success when DeSantis denies them of their own history and education.
Clearly, DeSantis’s ignorant decision to deny the AP African American Studies course designed by the College Board into the curriculum of K-12 schools in Florida leads to and promotes many more issues than meets the eye and he should be denounced for his cruel actions against African American students.