Proposed US Bill Restricts Access to TikTok Amid Data Security Fears

Ava Rieland, Reporter

The Restrict Act, limiting access to Tiktok, has advanced through the US House, is headed to the Senate, and is backed by the Biden administration.

The bill empowers the federal government to restrict access to foreign apps, if they are a perceived threat to national security; particularly, if they have access to personal data of 1,000,000 Americans or more.

This would include, and likely is targeting, TikTok.

TikTok has been around since September 2016. 

So why is the U.S. trying to ban it now?

According to Vox News, Tiktok is believed to be “responsible for the platform’s rampant misinformation. Mostly, and especially over the past three years, TikTok has been fighting against increased scrutiny from US lawmakers about its ties to the Chinese government.”

Concerns were raised about the safety and security of user data on the platform.

However, many are questioning the reasoning behind this ban and whether it is necessary.

According to government sources, the decision was made after several reports suggested that TikTok was collecting user data and sharing it with servers outside the country.

The government claims that this poses a threat to national security and the privacy of citizens.

However, experts believe that there may be other reasons behind this decision.

Some have suggested that TikTok’s growing popularity may have led to competition with other local apps, leading to the government feeling threatened.

Others believe that the government is trying to control the narrative on social media and this ban is a step towards that.

Sophomore Alicia Carey said, “Personally I don’t think that TikTok will be banned.”

It may be hard for teenagers to envision, but looking at the laws support, it may happen.

Many people are unhappy with this decision, including some lawmakers who have spoken out against it. 

Others have pointed out that TikTok has become a platform for creativity and self-expression, especially among India’s youth. It has also provided an opportunity for many to showcase their talent and gain exposure.

A ban on TikTok might limit these opportunities and stifle creativity.

The decision to ban TikTok has been met with mixed reactions.

While concerns around data privacy should always be taken seriously, many are questioning whether a blanket ban is the right approach. As one Twitter user put it, “If TikTok can be banned for ‘national security’ then what’s next? Netflix?”

TikTok has been fighting against increased scrutiny from US lawmakers about its ties to the Chinese government.”