Girls Golf is in for an Un-Fore-Gettable First Season

Swinging into the new year, Sunnyslope started our very own Girl’s Golf team.
As the Viking Views reported last year, Slope is joining the 123 other high schools with a girl’s golf team, and the five Vikings on the team have already had some early success.
The experiences and moments make each match memorable to these players and the group altogether.
Sophomore Caroline Gibson said, “So far, I love the other connections I’ve made through it. The other teams that I’ve played with and just girls have made the experience perfect.”
The team gives girls at Sunnyslope a chance to play and feel represented while allowing them to meet girls with the same interests.
Junior Iliana Wallack said, ”I feel like it just is more of a better opportunity to get some more people out there playing.”
Our school’s girls golf team is the first team of its kind here at Sunnyslope, so marking this in Sunnyslope history is a great way to inspire future generations.
Sophomore Molly Lawrence said, “It feels really cool to be a part of something like this and to know that I’m going to be one of the first people to introduce girls golf to Sunnyslope.”
Many of these girls share this passion for golf, yet they were never represented during the season.
”I think that people should be able to play golf if they want to. They shouldn’t have to try out for the boys team because it’s very difficult making it,” said Wallack.
With the girls being able to practice and compete in their own team, they have been able to grow their abilities when playing.
Coach Jens Erie said, “They have made significant gains in their skill and their talent.”
Some of the girls who are new to golf are just ready to learn and grow while also making new and exciting memories.
“I think there’s more to come and I’m just really excited to see where girls golf is going to go at Sunnyslope,” said Lawrence.
With golf being new to Sunnyslope the girls are making a legacy through what they are creating and they are going above and beyond.
Erie said that he “just want[s] the girls to have fun. I don’t want them to worry about their scores.”
The team has 4 matches remaining of their inaugural season.

Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com