Barstool Slope reaches 600 followers in under 2 weeks; controversy follows.

The Barstool Slope instagram account (based off of the business Barstool) exploded in popularity during the past few weeks which led to a variety of opinions on the account.
The account gained popularity by posting memes about the Slope football opponents which many Sunnylope students have enjoyed.
One anonymous person behind the Barstool Slope account said in a Direct Message Conversation, “We simply don’t understand and can’t control what people [say].”
The Barstool Slope account has made many posts heckling the opposing teams or players, even calling out players on opposing teams that Sunnyslope football will play.
Football Coach Sam Jacobs said, “I don’t like the posts. They are not what high school athletics are about. These are young men, not adults. Their likeness should not be used by someone else; it’s not the message we want to send.”
These posts led to some of the other teams viewing these posts and during the Cactus game having the accounts first post (which is now deleted) printed and handed out to Sunnyslope players in the handshake line.
Jacobs said, “It’s motivation [for the other team]. I don’t blame them. It’s dumb that someone outside our program is motivating them.”
Jacobs isn’t the only one not supporting the posts with
Senior John Sing said “I don’t blame [our opponents] for it, we just gotta do our thing.”
The Barstool Slope account has gained popularity very quickly though there has been backlash for their controversial posts.
The account said, “It seems our account has made many in the Sunnyslope High School mad for no reason.”
There has been some discussion for removal of the account and Jacobs agreed with those statements.
Jacobs said, “Yes [the account should be deleted], they shouldn’t be able to use the likeness of our players.”
The Sunnyslope football team is not supporting these posts or Barstool Slope.
Barstool Slope on the other hand has a different idea and said, “We will not delete the account” and also included disrespectful comments about staff here at Sunnyslope.
Barstool Slope and the Sunnyslope Football program have made it very clear that they both are not associated with each other and Sunnyslope Football does not support the account.
Barstool Slope has since turned their account on to private and removed all of their posts following the loss to Brophy, and it seems to have switched their focus to basketball as they changed their bio to represent basketball only.

Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com