Real or Artificial?

Real or Artificial?

The hot turf field seared and scorched the football players feet and hands as they had to run and work out in Arizona’s brutal summer heat. The football players had black bits in their cleats and stuck to their arms as they kept going and going. And yet so many high schools prefer turf over grass.

Sunnyslope had installed the new turf field in the Sunnyslope football stadium in 2021 because it would save thousands of dollars in the future and is more durable than grass fields. 

“I think turf grass fields are dying out because it’s easier for schools to maintain a turf field and it’s nice to have a consistent surface to play on from school to school; I’m already used to the surface, and it’s hard for the turf field to go bad,” Senior Varsity Linebacker Chris Yap said. 

Despite being the way football has been played for years, football players at Sunnyslope High School are loving the new adaptation of turf fields compared to the old grass fields used widely across the country.

Freshman Football Player Brendan Camp said turf fields affect the way games are played by allowing for “quicker changes of direction.”

Change of direction is not the only reason turf fields are so loved, the overall performance is also widely enjoyed.

“Its cleaner and it feels more smooth,” Camp said

On the other hand Freshman Sean Moody, who has played soccer for many years and has had experience on turf and grass, has a different stance on turf in general.

“I prefer playing on grass simply because it feels more authentic and hurts less when you fall in physical sports,” Moody said.

While he may prefer natural grass Moody said his favorite thing about turf is how consistent the fields are and how they don’t require a lot of maintenance. 

Camp agreed and said, “I think it’s kind of easy to get tripped up in the grass and it can be kind of muddy.”

Not only is mud and tripping a problem, but injury is nothing to be overlooked, as players definitely fear it.

“I feel that the uneven surface of the grass field can cause injury,” Camp said and Freshman Football Player Owen Lifshitz said this can be due to “inconsistently leveled” grass.

For many others they simply enjoy the benefits of turf over the potential risk of playing on uneven grass or dirt. 

“I feel like I slip less,” Freshman Football Player Michael Score said simply.

Ultimately, turf and grass can be argued over which one is better, but in the end as long as there is somewhere to play that’s all that matters as soccer players seem to enjoy grass fields better, while football players enjoy turf better. The turf field is a fan favorite for lots of students here at Sunnyslope High School and the future of turf fields at this central phoenix high school has a bright future and will benefit players for years to come.

Donate to Viking Views
$125
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com

Donate to Viking Views
$125
$750
Contributed
Our Goal