23-24 Girl’s Basketball Team Sets Records

23-24 Girls Basketball Team Sets Records

This past Girls Basketball Season saw immense success for Sunnyslope and several standout performances. On February 27th the Girls Basketball Instagram posted 11 records set by the team this year. In this article we’re going to dive a little deeper into the success.

1. Best Record Yet

In the 2023-2024 season, this new dynamic group of athletes set the best season record in 20 years for Sunnyslope Girl’s Basketball, with 20 wins and 10 losses.

2. Open Eight First

In the 2023-24 season, Sunnyslope’s Girl’s basketball made their way to the Elite 8 in the Open bracket for the first time. The Open bracket was introduced for the 2022-2023 season, and this group of young women were able to play with a new level of intensity against strong competition in this division.

3. Cutting Down Mistakes

As a team the Lady Vikings had 236 less turnover than last year. Cutting down from 560 to 324 this was just one of the several improvements the team made which led to their rise to success in the 2023-2024 season.

4. Stealing Wins

This year the girls basketball team piled up 545 steals this year. Led by Freshman Shannon McIlroy, the girls were dominant on the defensive side of the ball during their run to the Open final eight.

5. Freshman Shannon McIlroy

McIlroy led the team this season with 101 steals. This figure is the most amount of steals a freshman has ever recorded on Varsity. McIlroy is a freshman and first year Varsity athlete with 3 more seasons left to lock down opponents.

6. Sophomore Maggie Luba

In the 2023-24 season Luba scored 451 points, breaking the record for the most points by an individual in 20 years. Having 295 points during her freshman year in addition to her already impressive record, Luba has well established her presence on the court and has two bright-looking seasons remaining.

7. Freshman Jackie Wentworth

Wentworth helped lead the offense in 2023-2024 with a team high field goal percentage of 42%. Wentworth, a freshman, will have 3 more years on Varsity to lead to team to success just like this season.

8. Junior Teagan McIlroy

McIlroy broke two records this season with 165 assists and 140 steals during her third year on varsity. She has shown substantial growth compared to her 113 assists and 90 steals during her freshman season and will continue to be an asset to Sunnyslope Women’s Basketball while closing out her senior season.

9. Sophomore Aliana Santana

As a first year varsity player, Santana had an unbelievable free throw percentage of 100%. She has added a consistency to the team that is incredibly important.

10. Junior Kylie Rarrick

Rarrick had the most amount of successful 3 point shots in her junior season, breaking a record that had been 20 years standing. This was her third year on varsity, and she shows continual growth going from 13 to 41 and now 56 throughout her career.

11. Junior Amelia Mickelson

In 2023-2024, Mickelson set a career high in season blocks with 45 which also was the most in 20 years for the Sunnyslope Girls Basketball team. Mickelson has been on Varsity for 3 years and will be a senior next year while anchoring down the paint.

Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com

About the Contributors
Ale Sanchez
Ale Sanchez, Reporter
Sam Porell
Sam Porell, Sports Editor
Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal