Unified Through It All

Many people with disabilities have dreamed of playing sports and the addition of unified sports in schools have helped make these dreams come true.
Unified sports are widespread across the world, allowing anyone to participate in the sports they love.
Freshman Esmeralda Matias Ruiz said she felt “happy for unified sports because they allow people with disabilities to play sports.”
Many people feel the same way as her. Several sports have a unified version and the inclusion of these unified sports in schools have made an impact. In fact, sunnyslope recently had a unified track meet!
“I thought it was like a normal track meet. There honestly wasn’t anything different,” Freshman Jazmine Rodriguez said.
This shows that unified sports are being normalized within schools. It also shows that people have already begun accepting and encouraging unified sports!
“I do like them because it joins people with and without intellectual disabilities on the same team,” Freshman Eleczandra Sanz.
“I liked the unified track meet because it was entertaining,” Freshman Jocelyn Reyes said.
There are several other reasons why people love unified sports.
“I think unified sports are good because they bring people together and create new experiences,” Freshman Samantha Mandarin said.
During the unified track meet at Sunnyslope, the 3rd and 4th period P.E class went to see the meet and cheer on the players.
“I loved how we were able to go out and just [support] them,” Freshman Natalie Hernandez said.
The unified track meet introduced many people to unified sports.
“I didn’t even know there was such a thing as unified sports until I got to watch the track meet,” Freshman Nora Sheivik said.
More and more people have been trying to go see unified meets to show their support.
“Ever since I found out about them, I’ve been trying my best to support everyone on the team,” Matias said.

Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com