Award-wining Senior Presentation

Tiffany Hagan
image_pdfimage_print

Sunnyslope high school held the annual Senior Honors & Awards Presentation April 24 during the evening with a carnival theme. 

College and Career Center Advisor Deirdre Eager said, “We had the top 10% of  students, students that got in-state scholarships that have a 3.25 or higher GPA, students that notified us of their out of state scholarships. Last but not least, outstanding students that teachers picked for certain awards and local awards, if they applied for a local scholarship attend.”

This presentation was different from past presentations over the years since the staff members who were planning it wanted to make it more exciting.

Counselor Victoria Christensen said, “In the past  [the presentation] has always been quite formal … .We really notice throughout the years, senior attendance had started to decline a tiny bit and I think the three of us that plan in it, which is myself, Mrs. Robertson, and Mrs. Eager. I think we started getting bored with it and if the three people who are planning it start getting bored with it, then there needs to be a change.”

So the three decided that a way to make the event more exciting was to make the event like a carnival.

Eager said, “We rented a bull, a double slide and an obstacle course. Then we had a hot dog food truck, we had a lemonade food truck and then we had Chill Water and Ice provide ice cream sandwiches for all the seniors.”

The class of 2024 is very hardworking and the presentation is a way to honor all of their accomplishments.

Christensen said, “They go through all the testing and the stress that goes with that. So I think they just earned it, they’re getting ready to leave and I think it’s important to leave them with something super positive to remember high school.”

The Senior class is huge, so there are a lot of students who are unable to attend, so the presentation is a way to honor a few students in the big class.

Eager said, “We have some amazing students at Sunnyslope, and it’s been an honor to work with them and to help them on their way.”

She wished there was a way to include all of the hundreds of accomplishments of the students, but said Slope “does our small part” to recognize as many as possible.

The students who attended received many scholarships that ranged from $500 to over $400,000.

It’s estimated that the 2024 class earned collectively 27 million dollars in 4 year scholarships.

Eager explained that since 2024 is the largest graduating class ever, and that so many of them received scholarships from multiple schools, it really helps to expand that total figure.

Seniors class plans are big and vary from attending college all over the country and state, going on their mission, attending Naval Academy, and starting jobs.

Eager listed a few and said, “We have a couple students who are doing like semesters abroad where they plan to go through school or they’re just traveling.” 

One example of this would be Senior Bobby Huebert who is going South Korea.

“I know there’s lots of kids who are going to go straight into work,” such as Senior Cuauhtemoc Gastelo who will be working as a mechanic. 

“We have quite a few that are wanting to go into construction or welding or electrical and a lot of them are continuing the jobs that they’ve had,” Eager said.

One student going to a different type trade school is Senior Adi Wools headed to culinary school in Colorado. 

“We have three that I know of that chose to serve missions for their churches. We have a few students that are going to go out on a two year mission,”

One senior going on a two year mission is actually Eager’s son, Senior Gavin Eagar who is going on his mission to Argentina.

Donate to Viking Views
$125
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com

Donate to Viking Views
$125
$750
Contributed
Our Goal