Spring Sports Go Far

Sophie Wojtak
image_pdfimage_print

Individual athletes at Sunnyslope excelled this Spring season to see themselves in the state tournament or finals.

Athletes from beach volleyball, boys and girls tennis, and track ranked high enough to advance to state playoffs.

Senior Hannah Funk and Sophomore Aninyah Martin placed in the Division 1 state championships and qualified for the State Open Division Championship in Track.

Seniors Jeffrey Takeuchi and Langdon Krohnholm were underdogs and were knocked out by the 8th-ranked doubles pair in Boys Tennis doubles.

In Girls Tennis, Senior Tate Parker and Junior Chloe Newbern also qualified for the state tournament.

Beach Players Junior Georgi Stein and Senior Gianna Barry played as a pair this season, and Stein said, “I’m so proud of our upperclassmen for making it this far, and I had so much fun.”

Senior Andie Purdy and Junior Kaia Pixler were knocked out after losing the tie-breaking set to the #2 ranked pair in the state.

Barry and Stein also lost in the second round; they were ousted by the #6 ranked pair.

A significant factor in the success of spring sports was the support of others.

Junior Daniele White Lomeli said, “Everyone’s always in the sand hyping each other up.”

Sunnyslope has been very supportive of their athletics this year, and the athletes have taken notice.

Showing up for events has proven to be successful, as Sophomore Aniyah Martin has qualified for the 200m, long jump, and 300m hurdles and said, “Everyone is cheering for me and recording my race, and even if I do badly everybody still supports me.”

Martin was the third fastest hurdler in the state — the sophomore placing behind two seniors, and setting a record for fastest sophomore ever to run the race.

Furthermore, competitors were able to find fellowship through their hobbies.

Sophomore Noah Hernandez said, “It feels like I’m just with my friends when we race, but we’re also able to work well together.”

In finding this community, players are allowed the opportunity to see each other grow and push each other to qualify in the coming years.

White Lomeli said, “Over the summer I want to get in the gym” to prepare for next season in the hopes of placing even higher.

As freshmen through juniors pursue goals for state next year, seniors have big plans for their athletic careers.

Jeffrey Takeuchi and Langdon Krohnholm: this dynamic duo plans to “play intramural tennis at ASU or try to join the [ASU] club team,” said Takeuchi.

There was plenty of representation for the Vikings at state this spring to round out an incredible year.

Donate to Viking Views
$125
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com

Donate to Viking Views
$125
$750
Contributed
Our Goal