Victor’s Place Raises Prices

Students have noticed what they are calling inflation at Victor’s Place this year after paying higher prices for the same treats as last year.
Students pay for non-cafeteria treats and drinks at Victor’s Place attached to the gym.
Victor’s Place is known for being a convenient option for students who aren’t in the mood for school lunch.
Something that is such a convenience to so many students is seeing an increase in its prices. Many of the items last year that were only a dollar to a dollar and 50 cents have increased by a dollar.
Rice Krispies, chips, and jerky sticks have all increased in price.
Many students are wondering why this is happening. It isn’t because the school is greedy but because the business class needs to make a steady profit to keep the store open.
Many of the profits contribute to buying more of the snacks that students love.
Business Teacher Jill Martinez said, “The reason for students working at Victor’s place is not to make money for the school, but to get the students in business class some experience with working and handling money.”
A lot of the problems that are stemming in people’s lives are coming from the same root problem which is high pricing.
Global inflation rates spiked in 2022, at 8.8%, but our projected to go down to 4.1% by 2024 according to the International Monetary Fund.
From 2021 until now, this semester is the first time Victor’s Place increased their prices — despite spending two years purchasing goods at higher prices Martinez said.
Lots of students do not eat the school lunches and depend on Victor’s Place for a quick snack.
At first, people will not notice the price increase, but in a few months time people will have less cash in their pockets.
Sophomore Cruz Jaramillo said “Spending an extra three dollars a week adds up throughout the year.”
Jaramillo is right: $3 a week the entire school year will cost a student an extra $114 this school year.
Many students at Sunnyslope are already working.
Whether students choose to purchase fewer items, or simply spend the extra money is yet to be seen.

Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com