Zarate Wins District Art Show

Junior Jocelyn Lopez Zarate won first place for 2-D art at the District Art Show held at Glendale Community College on March 28th according to Art Teacher Melanie Legendre.
Legendre chose Lopez Zarate herself to represent her class.
“I didn’t feel like it was going to be easy to win because the competition is really tough,” Legendre said.
Although the competition was filled with many talented artists, Legendre said that her students are always prepared and eager.
“The judging is very subjective and it was very serendipitous,” Legendre said. Sunnyslope is very proud of Lopez Zarate and recognizes her hard work.
“This year was the first official art show I attended and the portrait itself isn’t finished but she had told me that I didn’t need to finish the other side since it kind of looked cool,” Lopez Zarate said.
Not only was Legendre surprised but so was Lopez Zarate.
“I couldn’t believe that I had gotten first place out of all the other pieces, even the art from students at a higher level than I am,” Lopez Zarate said.
To say the least, Lopez Zarate was intimidated by all the other artists and was very surprised that she won first place but overall said it was worth all the hard work she put into her portrait.
“I’d say winning first place, even being picked to be in the show, has really boosted my self esteem,” Lopez Zarate said.
This experience shows that you can succeed even if you have never done something like this before.
“Ms. Legendre has been super supportive of me. She always hypes me up when I’m working on an assignment for class, anytime I have a question even if it’s silly, she is very helpful,” Lopez Zarate said.
Not only did Lopez Zarate work very hard but so did Legendre with making sure her students were prepared and ready.

Some other students who deserve some recognition are Hannnah Bolden who won Best in Show and she is the second student to win Best of Show from Sunnyslope.

Hillary McHugh whose art piece was called “Slice of Love” got an Honorable Mention and finally, Mia Aronsohn called her 3D piece, “You are What You Eat” which earned her the District Purchase award.

Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com