Dzanzi’s On-Demand Portraits Make Money

Junior Dzani Yazzie can paint a portrait on-demand within mere minutes.
Yazzie has been painting for two years, but before that time she hated the medium; she said, “I never thought I had control over the brush, not as much as a pen or pencil. But after getting tired of not exploring my skills, and a growing pile of unused paints and supplies, I decided to give painting another go.”
It was likely an auspicious choice that she picked up the brush because her success at the Merry Marketplace may point to the possibility of a booming business in the future.
On December 8th Sunnyslopes’ DECA members hosted a Merry Marketplace event, allowing Sunnyslope students to showcase their personal businesses and make a little money.
Overall, Yazzie made “a little over $100 during the DECA Marketplace” though she said, “I don’t remember the exact count of paintings I made, but I do know my wrist was broken by the end of the day. I may have sold over 30 on-the-spot paintings.”
Since the marketplace, Yazzie has been asked by teachers for paintings and has received a couple requests from students as well.
However, while her art has been a success, her past attempt at making her own art business was difficult with limited time and resources; this time around Yazzie said, “Mrs. Martinez has offered to help me, which I did take her up on.”
Watercolor paint is her favorite–she is currently obsessed with Winsor and Newton paints–but she has been experimenting with acrylics as well.
“Art has always been helpful to me in many ways. I am so happy I got the opportunity to share my art with others. Because of my experience at the DECA Marketplace I want to continue to sell my art and hopefully get into future art festivals in Phoenix.”

Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com