Victor’s Closet Opens

Bode Pangborn
image_pdfimage_print

Victor’s Closet hosted its grand opening before school January 17th, offering affordable clothing, hygiene products, and accessories for the students of Sunnyslope according to Special Education Teacher Deanne Streich.
Victor’s Closet can be found in room 503, and is open during Wednesday’s Learning Center every week.
Social Worker Lisa Sanchez created the idea for Victor’s Closet and shared it with staff earlier this school year.
Streich and Sanchez started “building this idea for Victor’s Closet, until [Streich] eventually asked for Key Club’s help with the project,” according to Key Club Sponsor Michelle Schwimmer.
Then, Streich, along with the help of Key Club, orchestrated the final steps for the set-up and development of Victor’s Closet.
The idea is that all items in Victor’s Closet will be available for students on a budget.
“Everything in there is very affordable, clothing and hygiene products are 1 dollar each, while backpacks and shoes are 5 dollars,” said Schwimmer.
In order to achieve this, everything found in Victor’s Closet is donated from the community and then put onto the shelves.
“We have a variety of clothing items in there that are donated from teachers, donated from students, and donated from staff,” said Schwimmer.
Victor’s Closet is also partnering with local businesses to receive donations.
Streich said, “Once a month we get to go to Buffalo Exchange and pick up a whole boatload of clothes and shoes.”
Victor’s Closet makes sure to put every donation they receive to use as well, wasting nothing.
“Sometimes the clothes aren’t necessarily appropriate or sellable, so we send them over to the theater department, and then they use them for costumes or props,” said Streich.
Even with these donations and smart recycling, Victor’s Closet would not be possible without the work done by Streich’s students.
Streich said, “My students have moved everything, hung everything, organized everything, and put everything together.”
Victor’s Closet has served as a hands-on workshop for Streich’s students to learn occupational skills.
“Victor’s Closet is really wonderful for the Special-Ed department because it teaches transitional skills that will help prepare these students for jobs where they have to organize things by sizes or other tasks like that,” said Streich.
Other work from Key Club has proved helpful in set-up and organization.
Schwimmer said, “I always see my students helping out with whatever is needed, whether that be set-up, organization, or helping to teach [Streich’s] students.”
All of this points to a prosperous future of Victor’s Closet, and hopes are high for its success.
“It’s very sustainable,” said Streich, “We have Buffalo Exchange and Key Club helping, and as my students at occupational prep grow [Victor’s Closet] will too.”
Everything is coming together to show a bright and promising future.

Donate to Viking Views
$125
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com