Just Like Jessa

Tiffany Hagan

Growing up, everyone has role models. Whether it’s an athlete like Michael Jordan or Serena Williams, or it could be someone motivational like Barack Obama or Oprah Winfrey.

However, Senior Jessa Jacobs is one of the best role models Sunnyslope has to offer. Jacobs is on the Varsity Badminton & Track and Field teams, Captain of the Varsity Girls Basketball team, Fellowship of Christian Athletes president, National Honor Society member, and Unified Sports participant.

Participating so many extracurricular activities makes Jacobs a valuable asset in everything she does.

“If cloning was a real thing, I would try to clone Jessa Jacobs,” said Varsity Basketball Head Coach Kristen Clyder, “she has integrity, she’s sweet, she has a heart of gold, and she will do anything that is asked of her and that’s very rare to find.”

Jacobs is able to inspire others around her on and off the court.

Freshman Shannon McIlroy said, “Jessa has taught me to just power through everything and don’t give up on things because you’re gonna have better outcomes in the end.”

Jacobs’ influence and hard work can also be recognized in the classroom.

Shedoesn’t draw a lot of attention to herself, but from a teacher’s perspective I know that I can count on her work to always be good,” said Spanish Teacher Sarah Glover.

But most recently, Jacobs and the Varsity badminton team are Division One Team State Champions. During Jacobs’ doubles match, she was hit in the face with a racket by her partner.

Varsity Badminton Coach Sarah Schlesinger was certain that wouldn’t stop Jacobs from finishing the match and said, “it was never a question whether or not Jessa would go back in the game or not, it didn’t even cross my mind.”  

Jacobs’ resilience and tenacity is a quality that many people around her are inspired by. Jessa’s impact on the school and her peers was inspired by one person: her dad.

“I went through some of my dad’s old yearbooks,” Jacobs said, “and he basically ran high school, and I knew that I wanted to be involved in everything like he was.” 

By participating in many clubs and sports, Jacobs is able to form quality connections and build a strong community around her.

Junior Kylie Rarrick said she, “cares so much about everyone and she really just wants the best for everyone.” 

Senior Phoebe Roussin said, “it’s the insane amount of effort she’ll go to help someone which is what I always strive to do.”

In her final year at Slope, Jacobs is leaving a huge impact on the community while, “giving the best high fives,” said Senior Rayanna Hood.

Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com