The Giant

The Giant

Most athletes who go on to play their respective sport in college will have had multiple years of tape and experience under their belt when coaches come knocking looking for recruits.
However Senior Jack Preston only needed one year of starting experience to get noticed and eventually commit to Division II South Dakota State Schools of Mines and Technology.
“Having only played football seriously for one year has taught me how much better I can get in a short amount of time,” said Preston.
The 2023-2024 season was the second year on Varsity and first year as a starting offensive linemen for the 6’ 5” 270 LBS Preston, but that didn’t stop him from pursuing football for the future.
Preston believes his “football career so far is full of untapped potential”, but as for the next 4 years he said, “I think I am ready for the next level.”
Preston’s potential is indeed immense, but that should overshadow the amount of progress he has made in the last few years.
“I would definitely say that competition has helped drive Jack to be the best he can,” Senior David Gallespie said, “He’s always pushing you to do better and be better, too.”
South Dakota State Schools of Mines and Technology wasn’t the only schools to notice Preston’s skill as he received offers from Arizona Christian University, Northern Arizona University, lake Forest College, University of Sioux Falls,Culver-Stockton College, Knox College, Minot State University, Concordia College, Fort Lewis College, UW-River Falls, and Chadron State University; however, he decided his home would be in South Dakota.
“I chose South Dakota Mines because I was really impressed with the athletes that were,” Said Preston, “They were determined and serious about academics and sports.”
South Dakota Mines is a member of the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference and finished last season 5-6, but is led by Head Coach Charlie Flohr who has a record of 20-17 since starting there.
Beyond just football though Preston is interested in their engineering program as well and he said “It is really an awesome hands-on engineering school which is more hard to find than you would think.”
The Hard Rockers up north are going to be adding not only an outstanding football player and they won’t have to worry about his academics.
“South Dakota Mines is a very rigorous engineering school that is a great challenge academically,” said Preston, “Everyone there is focused and on task to complete their degrees and the professors are awesome.”
Outside of school and football Preston won’t have any problems and is sure to succeed in all his pursuits.
Gillespie said, “Off the field he is quiet but funny when you get to meet him.”
He may be quiet but at 6’ 5” Preston sure is a giant and will make his name known over the next 4 years.

Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com

About the Contributor
Sam Porell
Sam Porell, Sports Editor
Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal