The Jackhammer

The Jackhammer

Every sports team has one kid that no matter what will give their full effort. No matter what they will put their body on the line for their teammates. No matter what they will never quit and always lead.
For the Sunnyslope Football team that kid was Senior John Sing and he will continue to do this for the next 4 years in Minnesota at Bethel University, a member of the DIII Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic conference.
“I visited up there and it was just a beautiful campus, there’s a heart shaped lake next to it and a frisbee golf course,” said Sing, “Their team is a bunch of really good dudes and their program is strongly rooted in faith and that was just huge for me.”
Football has been a huge part of Sings life as he watched both his older brothers – David and Jobe Sing – play here at Sunnyslope and continued on the tradition playing for 3 years on Varsity and finished his career as a captain.
Playing at the next level for Sing means that all his work over the past 8 years has paid off, but he also said, “By the time the season came to an end, I said, ‘I wasn’t ready to stop playing’, so I get to keep playing 4 more years which is a blessing.”
Over his 3 years playing as a Viking Sing totalled 532 rushing yards and 4 touchdowns to go with 149 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss, 2 sacks, and 3 Interceptions which definitely constitutes some college attention.
Senior Matthew Vera said, “John on the field is a gritty, smart, real locker room guy with a high IQ, but off the field is a sensitive, caring, hardworking guy who’s always willing to lend a hand.”
John’s personality on and off the field is a huge reason he has become the football player and person that he is today, but there is one larger thing that has contributed: faith.
“My faith helps me get a clear head and helps me view football the right way,” said Sing, “Because I know that my identity isn’t wrapped up in how good I am at football instead my identity is in Christ.”
A large focus on faith was also important in Sing’s decision to attend Bethel University although not the only factor.
“A big thing was their defensive coordinator now head coach who reached out to me last May,” said Sing, “I talked to him and looked into the school and I thought it was really cool.”
Last year Bethel finished 8-3 but as Sing said the school promoted defensive coordinator Mike McElroy this offseason meaning Sing will be a part of a new group of recruits for the Royals and if they are anything like Sing it will be a stellar class.
“Johns is a great teammate, lunch pail type of guy who is gonna make sure his team gets the job done,” said Vera.
This attitude will definitely help Sing get settled in his new environment which will be much different than the scorching state of Arizona.
“I’m going to experience -5 winters,” said Sing, “and I’m really excited about the difference , but I’ll be back here for summer so I’ll get the best of both worlds.”
No matter where Sing is he will do just fine not only with football but his determination and faith are sure to bring him great things.

Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com

About the Contributor
Sam Porell
Sam Porell, Sports Editor
Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal