Papa Jai

Papa Jai

The only Basketball player to commit to a college this year was Senior Jai Anthoni Bearden who will be heading to Ball State University next year.
Beardean, though, has a unique story as he actually transferred to Sunnyslope from Kellis High School for his Junior and senior seasons and he is glad he did.
Bearden said he would describe the past 2 years as amazing and he said, “I loved it, It was fun, I got to meet new people and learn new things,” adding that he feels he became a better man.
Bearden may feel this in part to Head Coach Ray Portela who made sure to welcome Bearden once he enrolled.
“He was cool,” Bearden said, “He was more comforting and trying to make me feel like I was at home so I respect him for that.”
Having an experience like this from a coach is very important for anyone in Bearden circumstance.
“First, it was a little awkward, but I bought into it,” Bearden said
Hopefully, Ball State will be just as welcoming to him, but no matter what excitement still dominates his feelings.
“I’m just excited to play and that’s it,” said Bearden, “Just really play and meet new people. I’m going there by myself like I got no family there so it’ll be fun.”
From what he has experienced with the university so far it doesn’t seem like there is a whole to worry about.
“They’re just honest about everything,” Bearden said, “The trust was already there and they were cool.”
There will be lots to miss, though, as like he said Bearden is going to be in a brand new environment in Indiana.
One of his favorite memories from the past few years was the “lunch table convos with my guy John Mattingly,” and he said the thing he will miss the most will be all the people.
Bearden turned himself into quite the high school prospect with career averages of 10.8 points per game and 5.3 rebounds per game and he plans to do the same once in college.

Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com

About the Contributor
Sam Porell
Sam Porell, Sports Editor
Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal