OHSO Opens Up; Employs Vikings

Opening up the new O.H.S.O restaurant has benefited Sunnyslope students in one specific way.
At least 5 students make up the new staff at the recently opened restaurant.
This promises a strong bond between the Slope community and the restaurant for many years to come.
O.H.S.O has hired more students from Sunnyslope than any other school and has given them their first careers and experience with the industry.
Sophomore Taylor Rons, who has now been working at the restaurant for a couple months, has gotten to participate in many new things and make new memories.
“My favorite memory so far would be training when the restaurant first opened up because I got to meet new people and eat a lot of food,” said Rons.
O.H.S.O is not only providing these teens with real-life lessons but fun times too. Rons said, “I like working with mostly Slope students because it helps me get to know them better and it makes working more fun.”
This creates the reality of earning income, exploring career possibilities, and contributing to the community.
Overall, the students working there have no complaints.
It gets a little “busy sometimes” said Junior Kloie Jacobs.
If that is the worst thing anyone could think of, it seems as though Osho is doing a pretty good job so far.
Now, when these girls move on from high school to bigger things, they are more capable of communicating and building professional relationships.
Though this restaurant is benefiting Sunnyslope, is it benefiting the other communities equally?
Some may feel that because there are so many Sunnyslope employees, other students who need jobs will not get the chance to work there because of the substantial number of students who have already filled the spots.
The question arose: Did Slope students get preferential accommodations in the application process? If so, is that fair?
First, there are a few students from different schools like “Xavier, Brophy, Chaparral, and A.S.A” said Junior Amelia Mickelson.
Nobody is being singled out; it is a community-based restaurant that is just simply more popular around the Sunnyslope community specifically.
Additionally, there are a handful of restaurants in every single community whose target market is also their specific area.
O.H.S.O is not the only restaurant that prides itself on having a coterie of guests. If anything, this idea is good for businesses.
It is more likely that not only students but families and friends will go to these restaurants because they enjoy supporting their local communities.
It can also lead to increased loyalty which will never be bad for O.H.S.O
Being able to bond with your own community is key when it comes to service.
In the restaurant industry, employees should always be able to be personable, but it helps younger members of staff a lot knowing that there are other people in the same boat as them, and they have others to relate to.
“It was more comforting knowing that there would be people I would be familiar with,” said Jacobs.
In essence, the opening of the new restaurant O.H.S.O has benefited the community and students.
It gave students a chance to learn new things and kick start their career, and it gave the community a comfortable and enjoyable environment to be around. Hiring locally will now create a positive domino effect which will lead to better collaboration and economic growth for the Sunnyslope area.

Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com