Marvelous Melissa Makes a Mark

At their simplest, a clown juggles three primary-colored foam bean bags; at their peak clowns take it up a notch to juggle bowling pins, or ride a unicycle.
Senior Melissa Wentworth would find those tasks easy compared to all the responsibilities she juggles.
Wentworth is Senior Class President, a captain of the Varsity Volleyball and Varsity Beach Volleyball teams, a leader of Green Team, a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes, a Unified Sports participant, and is secretary of Film and TV.
Most students struggle just to balance school and their personal life, so doing all of this is an incredible accomplishment.
Furthermore, many in her life are fond of Wentworth.
Head Volleyball Coach Amber LeTarte said, “Melissa has a heart of gold. She is a responsible player and respected leader.”
As a leader, Wentworth was selected as a Varsity Volleyball Captain by her teammates.
Freshman Kendall Omoruyi said, “Even though I’ve only known her for a short time, I can already tell she’s a true leader.”
Wentworth hopes to use her leadership to influence future generations, as her siblings and the alumni she grew up watching have influenced her.
“I was inspired by the leaders before me…I have grown up watching the student section,” said Wentworth.
Reaching her goals has not always been easy though.
Wentworth said, “In order to manage all my extracurriculars, volleyball, and keep my grades up I have to be willing to make sacrifices. Sometimes that means I miss a social event and other times that means I lose sleep. I also have to make sure to stay super organized.”
Students involved with Wentworth acknowledge her structure.
Sophomore Zora Mitchell said, “She’s always talking to [Stuco Advisor Leah Clark] about new projects and things she wants to do. She organizes so much around school and works with everyone to make things run smoothly.”
Part of ensuring things run smoothly is helping students connect.
Sophomore Kiera Tinard said, “She has a very nice uplifting spirit and helps me get to know people in the FCA community.”
Her leaders also recognize and appreciate her efforts.
“She is not selfish, and she cares for not only others but to uphold the Sunnyslope Volleyball traditions as well as the Sunnyslope High School traditions,” said LeTarte.
Not only is Wentworth an active participant for herself, but positively impacts her peers.
Junior Georgi Sten said, “I’ve known Melissa for years, and she is consistent in her strong and kind character on and off the court.”
Overall, Wentworth is leaving an impression on people at Sunnyslope that will outlive her time at the school.
Clark said, “She’s the person that walks into a room and instantly lights it up… I have truly enjoyed working with her for the last two years.”
Wentworth’s incredible balance allows her and those around her to thrive.

Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com