2023 Boys Golf Districts Were The Best by Par

Boys Varsity Golf won the GUHSD Championship on August 26 at Arizona Traditions Golf Course, according to Varsity Boys Golf Head Coach Josh Woznicki.
The team was invited to participate in this tournament hosted by Greenway High School and competed intensely, resulting in their success.
Sophomore Ira Goldman said, “My mindset was just focused on winning and helping my team get to the ultimate goal, and that was winning districts.”
They did accomplish this goal, and hope to accomplish more going forward with the season.
Junior Jackson Pieratt said, “If we play like we know how to play, we have a chance of putting our numbers up there and maybe sneaking a spot into State.”
Coach Woznicki agreed, and believes this win will help the team going forward.
Woznicki said, “It’s still early in the season, but the victory should help give us momentum to play well and hopefully qualify for the state tournament.”
Focusing on their accomplishments so far is important too though.
Goldman said he most enjoyed celebrating with everybody afterwards.
Furthermore, this victory gave the team a sense of pride and connected the players.
“I felt pretty proud for me and the team, but mostly for Jackson,” Goldman said.
Pieratt also enjoyed this success as he took home the title of tournament champion with a score of 2 over par.
“The best part was definitely getting that plaque at the end and winning as a team,” Pieratt said.
However, the victory did not come easily.
Pieratt has been having an excellent season thus far and is on track to make the state tournament, but high school golf is still a team sport.
Woznicki said, “The win can be attributed to their hard work and focus.”
Even with this intensity, there were moments where the boys faltered.
“The worst part was that first tee shot and I didn’t hit a great one, put it in the right rough and took about three minutes to find it,” Pieratt said.
The boys pulled it off though, and their peers are glad to see their success.
Sophomore Molly Lawerence, a member of the Girls team, said, “I’m proud of them for winning, I know it can be hard and it’s amazing to see the boys doing so well.”

Donate to Viking Views
$100
$750
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Sunnyslope High School. Your contribution will allow us to host a digital presence and pay for the fees associated with the domain SHSVikingViews.com